How to secure Apple computers and mobiles
Clean your computer
If your computer has been compromised the safest thing to do is to wipe the hard drive and reinstall the software or replace the hard drive.
Change passwords –
Use a password manager to help you secure your passwords.
Use two-step authentication
Many email and online accounts offer two-step authentication which means they send a code to your phone you have to type in to make changes.
Once you have reinstalled your software add an antivirus and anti spyware software.
Suggestions include: F-Secure, Intego Mac, Kaspersky
VPN – Virtual Private Network
Use VPM to increase security. I suggest: IPVANISH (www.ipvanish.com)
Use a safer browser
Recommend using White Hat Avitator (www.whitehatsec.com/aviator)
Allow only essential apps and services to connect
- Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, and then click Firewall.
- Click the lock icon to unlock it, and then type an administrator name and password.
- Click Firewall Options.
- Select the “Block all incoming connections” checkbox.
To make your Mac more difficult for Hackers to find, Check the box for “Enable stealth mode” in the Firewall tab. This option will prevent your Mac from responding to Ping requests from port scanning malware.
To lock all security settings so that other users cannot change them, click the padlock icon at the bottom of each settings page.
The best way to clean your mobile and to insure you remove all spyware or unwanted apps you will have to do a factory reset. There are 4 important steps.
- · Delete any suspicious apps
- · Back-up your mobile to iCloud
- · Do a factory reset
- · Restore (put your information back on your mobile)
Step1: Delete any suspicious apps
If your stalker could have had access to your phone, they may have added apps like find my phone or apps that “check you in” to places. Delete any apps that you have not put on the phone are that you don’t know what they do.
- · To delete a app place your finger on the app for several seconds until an X appears in the corner
- · Touch the X it will ask if you want to delete the app say yes.
Step2: How to Sync (back-up) your iPhone using iTunes on our computer
The next step you should do is to back-up your iPhone so that you don’t loose your contacts, music, photos etc.
- · Plug your iPhone into your computer
- · Launch iTunes
- · Select your iPhone in the ‘DEVICES’ list
- · Right-Click on your iPhone
- · Select “Sync”
- · Wait for iPhone back up to complete
Backing Up iPhone to your iCloud account
- · Launch “Settings” and tap on “iCloud”
- · Verify the iCloud account is set up and that “Contacts” is turned ON
- · Scroll down and tap on “Storage & Back up”
- · Tap “Back Up Now”
After you have backed-up your iPhone you will need to reset it to the original factory settings.
Step 3: Restoring your iPhone
- · Launch “Settings” and tap on “General”
- · Scroll to the bottom of General and tap on “Reset”
- · Tap on “Erase All Content and Settings”
- · Enter the iPhone passcode, and confirm the reset by tapping on “Erase iPhone”
Step 4: Restore your information
- · Chose the option to Set-up as New iPhone
- · Do manual restore from back-up and add apps that you are confident are not malicious.
Anti-virus anti spyware software for the iphone are not as effective as their computer counter parts. It isn’t the phone that often gets compromised but the account. However, due to increase in virus and spyware on mobiles, it is still a good investment.
Suggestions include: Intego, Vast, Trend
VPN – Virtual Private Network
Use a VPN product for your phone as well as your computer. IPVANISH has a iPhone product.